2015-02-18

Where to learn Calligraphy in HK?


My husband has kindly organised a calligraphy class as a Valentine's Day activity. Many of my friend ask me where I learn and how does it go? I think it would be nice for me to share my experience here with you as well.

For a start, I first learn about calligraphy from Emily - cupcakesandcashmere.com. She mentioned that she learnt calligraphy when she was young. She loves it so much and took the learning process very seriously. I once know that there is Chinese calligraphy, but have never heard that there is particular pen and style of English calligraphy that we can learn and be an expert in it. I know it sounds so lime, but when I was young, I love writing beautiful word on my homework, it makes me feel more passion to complete it. If there is english calligraphy in the world, I have no hesitation to learn it. 

Fun Fact! We learn English Calligraphy at Kalomakeart


It is a 3 hours workshop and it happens in a little workspace located in central (near Topshop). Kalo (the teacher) is a very talented lady, she prepared a kit set for us and kindly let us play with it for a start. We have no idea how to use it and so, we simply writing a lot of fine line and don't know what do to. 

She then teaches us how to press the pen to make different shape of lines and shows us her beautiful work on how words can turn into a piece of art. Knowing what you don't know and learning the skills is such a process and it happens in a blink of eyes. For the moment I enter the classroom, my whole body is shaking. I can't explain how excited I am to be able to achieve my dream, to do what I love and dream of for a long time. Listen to all her words on explaining how to get the skills just makes me even more excited. My hand what shaking so badly that my calligraphy a little bit shaky and doesn't look all that good (Kalo is well aware of that - but she thought I was sky in writing in front of her, but I am just to excited.) 

After all the practise on each word (from A to Z), we finally have a chance to create our own little poster with quotation which we love. My poster isn't really artistic enough as I am overwhelming myself with too many emotions that I can barely think. 

Anyway, if you are living in Hong Kong or you are going to travel to Hong Kong someday and you love to learn calligraphy, please go to Kalo's website and register a class. Her class is quite full, so be prepare to plan it in advance. The course fee is around HKD1,080/person.

Hope you enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. I am desperate to learn calligraphy! It is something i've wanted for ages if only I lived in HK! Looks like a fun day.

    www.luciaflorence.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lucia, I am sure there is someone in your living area would teach calligraphy.
    With you love writing blog post, I am sure you would love to have beautiful calligraphy to enhance this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randomly found your blog and can’t express how I like it!
    It was so interesting to read your posts and also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos!
    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana for your support! :)

      I have just had a look at your blog and I think it is absolutely amazing! :D

      Will bookmark it and come around again.. I hope you do too!
      Have a nice and lovely weekend! :)

      Delete