2016-02-23

Never Say Never


I come across a blogpost from Vivienne does make up talking about "A Lesson in Never Say Never". I'm so inspired by it, as I experienced similar thing in the past year and especially when I'm living in the other side of the world now, I faced a lot of challenges and needed to do a lot of things I wouldn't think I can do before I come here. I have developed quite a deep feeling on this topic and would like to write it down and think it through on what I learnt from it. 

Walking Around In A Complete Strange Place with English As My Second Language. In the past, every time I travel aboard, I would either be with my family or friends. If there is no one interested to travel, I would rather not to go than travelling alone. I have never thought that I would walk around in a complete strange country alone for sight seeing like I do now. The thing is when you live in a country, you can't expect your husband or friends to be around with you 24/7. You need to buy food, you need to shop around, you need to get to see the country. Your time can't be wasted by sitting at home all day waiting someone to feed you. So, I start with  places that I have been there with my husband before, then walking around the home area. Once I get more comfortable, I learn to use Citymapper and I can simply go to everywhere now! 

There are always things that is out of our comfort zone that we are always just too reluctant to try and walk out of it. If I walk step by step, try to find things that ease the anxious, those things that not comfort is in fact not that scary at all. I am amazed by how much my ability can do now.

Learning Thai Boxing. Ever since I was young, I am not into exercising. I would draw, I would play piano, I would WATCH volleyball, but I would never play basketball. As I never thought that I can be as tough as other girls and would end up hurting myself. Half years ago, my friends and I went to a yoga class (a rather soft and relaxing exercise) and the yoga teacher has a break and cannot teach for a while.  We have no choice but to take another course in the fitness centre to use up the remaining credit.  We have just randomly picked Thai Boxing. I'm kind of scare at first and only watched my friend to play. I feel like it is hard but still doable for beginner, I think I can try it. So, I take one of the trail class and I instantly fall in love with the sweating, exhausted feeling and most importantly, I feel I get thinner and fitter afterward. I'm even feeling proud to tell people I love Thai Boxing, although my friends always respond: You? Thai Boxing? I can't believe it! Believe it or not.. I'm doing it! I planned to do it in the UK as well. So, wish me luck!

Sometimes it's the fear that set us boundary. Understand the difficulty, analyst the opportunity of getting hurt and how to prevent it, you can just jump off the boundary slowly. I rather play it slow, than fall it down and never wanted to wake up and try again.  

Cooking. I am very lucky that my mum never let me go into the kitchen when I was young. She would rather letting me study or do things that I love to do instead of cooking food. Since then, I feel that I am one of those people who don't know how to cook. People know how to cook are amazing! When I live with my husband, he knows how to cook (as he lived in London alone before he is with me, and need to cook by himself.) and he expected me to be the same. I start to buy some pre-packed food from the supermarket, which I can simply put it into the pan and cook without adding anything. My husband is a very encouraging person, he praises me every time I cook something new and I start building up confident to try some simple easy recipe suggested from my friend or online. I'm now even modified some of the dishes and share the recipe in my blog. 

You never try it, you would think you can't do it. Once you try it, it might just clicked and you can simply do everything. 

To summarised, I used to set a lot of boundary for  myself. However, when I have to do something, there are always ways to do it.  One of my 2016 resolution is to stretch out of my comfort zone to do more things that I don't think I have the ability to do. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post dear, I had fun reading it. I want to learn boxing too. Would you like to follow each other? if you decided to follow me on BLOGLOVIN and Instagram please let me know so I can follow you back. Thank you.

    www.love-joice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's so encouraging to read your post! :)

      I will definitely follow you on bloglovin, so we can keep on supporting each other! :)

      Delete
  2. Great post dear, I had fun reading it. I want to learn boxing too. Would you like to follow each other? if you decided to follow me on BLOGLOVIN and Instagram please let me know so I can follow you back. Thank you.

    www.love-joice.com

    ReplyDelete